Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wordplay

I have become quite an afficianado of certain video games. I've always loved word games and now I play Strike A Match on Boxerjam.com and word whomp and scrabble on Pogo.com. I've been told by my son that if I played fewer games, I might write more on my novel and that is probably true. However, I really enjoy these games and am quite good at them. The Strike a Match game consists of four rounds in which you have to find relationships between two, then three and then four sets of words. It can be pretty cutthroat as you compete with others all over the country and the world. I have discovered that to make the "high score" list for the day, for example, you have to outrank everyone else who has played that game AND the only time that counts for the list is when it is your first game of the day. I have made a couple of "friends" on that game, but there are others who I simply won't play with either because they always win or because they take TOO long to answer or because they are nasty.

It isn't so surprising that I would fare well at word games, as I have always loved words and have been doing the New York Times crossword puzzles for over forty years. However, I have discovered that I love to play Pogo Bowl which consists of a virtual bowling alley. What I love most about that game is that the players are so friendly and encouraging. When someone gets a turkey (three consecutive strikes), other players will say "nt" which means nice turkey. If someone fails to get either a spare or a strike, others will say, "ss" meaning so sorry. I was never very athletic although I did like real bowling when I was younger. I wasn't athletic partly because I have a lazy eye which affects my depth perception and partly because others teased me unmercifully in elementary school. So, it is just delightful to be with the Pogo bowlers who go out of their way to encourage each other. There is such a grand camaraderie and I look forward to meeting with this group.

Hopefully, the neglected novel will once again inspire me. For now, I'll keep on playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment